Thursday, January 12, 2017

2016 Bookish Recap Tag

Welcome to 2017! I can't believe it's already here. Kaitlyn from Twin Thoughts tagged me for this marvelous book-related tag started by Faith P. at Stories by Firefly. You know me, always ready to write about books. Thank you, Kaitlyn!
Rules
  1. Include the above button in your post.
  2. Answer the 11 questions.
  3. Use as many book covers as you like.
  4. Tag 5-10 people and notify them that they've been tagged.
 Questions
1. How many books did you read in 2016? (Exact if you know, or approximate if not.)
I do have an exact for this. I know what you're thinking: BOOK NERD! And you're right. :) The answer is 85 books.

2. Did you set a reading challenge for yourself and, if so, did you meet it?
 I had set a goal of 10 books a month, so 120 all year. But, life interfered.

3. What was your most read genre this year? Least read?
Most read: Fantasy (about 24) and historical fiction (about 20-25)
Least read:  Biographies (1) and romance (3)

4. What's five of your favorite books from 2016?
This is a terrible question. So I'll just pick my five top series. haha.

The Makilien Trilogy by Molly Evangeline
The Pirates and Faith series by Molly Evangeline
The Blades of Acktar by Tricia Mingerink
Ilyon Chronicles by Jaye L. Knight
Dragons in our Midst by Bryan Davis
Mark of the Lion Trilogy by Francine Rivers

What? I'm certain you counted wrong. There's only five series listed! :) Anyway, if you haven't heard of or read these series, you really need to. They're wonderful!

5. What's five of your least favorite books from 2016?
 Nobody kill me as I know these are some favorites.

Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe
Silas Marner, George Eliot
Shane, Jack Schaefer
Seal of the King, Ralph Smith

I personally wouldn't recommend any of these books to anyone. These were pretty much my only disappointing books throughout the year.

6. What new favorite author did you discover? (Not necessarily that the author is 'new', but that they became new to you this year.)
This was a very good reading year. I found my new favorite author—Tricia Mingerink, and for all intensive purposes I found my second-favorite author—Jaye L. Knight/Molly Evangeline. I actually found MANY new authors but these two are by far my favorites.

7. What's five of your favorite book covers from the year?
There were some really good ones! Here are a few.
Resistance, Jaye L. Knight
Courage, Molly Evangeline
The Pirate Daughter's Promise, Molly Evangeline
Deny, Tricia Mingerink
Defy, Tricia Mingerink

What? I'm not biased! Why would you say that?

8. How many books did you purchase for yourself in 2016? (Exact if you know, approximate if not.)
I bought more books for myself this year than any other year prior. That being said, I'm not sure. I got several of them free on Kindle and bought all my favorites in paper-back. Still, many of them were given to me for Christmas and my birthday. I'd have to say that I bought at least 20.

9. What's the longest book you read in 2016?
Unfortunately, it was also one of my least favorites. Ironic, I know. Seal of the King by Ralph Smith was 749 pages. Yes, you read that number correctly. The longest book I've ever read!

10. What's the shortest book you read in 2016?
Probably Jesseca Wheaton's Beyond the Horizon at 72 pages. I also read a few others that might have been slightly shorter.

11. What's your reading goal for 2017?
I'm not going to push myself since I have a super busy schedule, but I'm going to aim for last year's goal of 120. We'll see how I do!
I Tag
You! If you are reading this and have done the tag, leave me the link to your post and I'll go read it. If you haven't done this and don't have a blog, go ahead and leave me a comment with your answers! I love learning about your reading adventures!

I would say that this year, most of the books I read ranged from 300-400 pages, and I'm very happy with that number. So, while I didn't read quite the number of books I'd hoped to, I read plenty of pages. Here's the complete list of what I read if you are interested. Before you go, be sure to either answer the questions or recommend a book to me. Thanks!

My Reading Year
 
January (2,946 pages total)
  1. Makilien Trilogy: Courage, Molly Evangeline (478 pages)
  1. Makilien Trilogy: Trust, Molly Evangeline (331 pages)
  2. Circle C Milestones: Heartbreak Trail, Susan K. Marlow (166 pages)
  3. 'Nama Beach High: New Girl in Town, Nancy Rue (170 pages)
  4. Pirates and Faith: The Pirate Daughter's Promise, Molly Evangeline (217 pages)
  5. Pirates and Faith: Every Tear, Molly Evangeline (458 pages)
  6. Circle C Milestones: The Last Ride, Susan K. Marlow (175 pages)
  7. Red Rock Mysteries: Instant Menace, Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry (234 pages)
  8. Red Rock Mysteries: Escaping Darkness, Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry (218 pages)
  9. Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe (499 pages)

February (2,010 pages total)
  1. Daughters of the Faith Series: Shadow of His Hand, Wendy Lawton (148 pages)
  2. What About Cimmaron?, Lauraine Snelling (84 pages)
  3. Sierra Jensen Series: In Your Dreams, Robin Jones Gunn (140 pages)
  4. Forbidden Doors: The Guardian, Bill Myers (170 pages)
  5. Red Rock Mysteries: Windy City Danger, Jerry B. Jenkins and Chris Fabry (234 pages)
  6. Adventures of the Northwoods: The Disappearing Stranger, Lois W. Johnson (142 pages)
  7. The Black Stallion: The Blood Bay Colt, Walter Farley (307 pages)
  8. The Island Stallion: The Island Stallion's Fury, Walter Farley (190 pages)
  9. Pirates and Faith: A Captain's Heart, Molly Evangeline (365 pages)
  10. Golden Filly: The Race, Lauraine Snelling (123 pages)
  11. Golden Filly: Eagles Wings, Lauraine Snelling (107 pages)

March (2,047 pages total)
  1. Silas Marner, George Eliot (202 pages)
  2. Golden Filly: Go for the Glory, Lauraine Snelling (126 pages)
  3. Golden Filly: Kentucky Dreamer, Lauraine Snelling (130 pages)
  4. Golden Filly: Call for Courage, Lauraine Snelling (122 pages)
  5. Dear Enemy, Jack Cavanaugh (288 pages)
  6. The Kingdom Series: Kingdom's Dawn, Chuck Black (145 pages)
  7. Blessed Child, Ted Dekker and Bill Bright (349 pages)
  8. Left Behind: Desecration, Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (405 pages)
  9. The Kingdom Series: Kingdom's Hope, Chuck Black (138 pages)
  10. Adventures of the Northwoods: The Hidden Message, Lois Walfrid Johnson (142 pages)

April (2,016+ pages total)
  1. The Blades of Acktar: Dare, Tricia Mingerink (334 pages)
  2. Golden Filly: Shadow Over San Mateo, Lauraine Snelling (119 pages)
  3. The Anne of Green Gables Novels: Anne of Green Gables, L. M. Montgomery (308 pages)
  4. Song of the Desert, Katie Grace (307 pages)
  5. Christian Heroes: Then and Now: Jacob Deshazer, Janet and Geoff Benge (219 pages)
  6. The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkien (330 pages)
  7. The Blades of Acktar: Deny, Tricia Mingerink (328 pages)
  8. Kressler Kids Mysteries: The Mystery of the Midnight Tresspasser, Hosanna Emily (_ pages)
  9. Golden Filly: Out of the Mist, Lauraine Snelling (116 pages)

May (1,428+ pages total)
  1. The Oneness: Hive, Rachel Starr Thomson (__ pages)
  2. The Oneness: Exile, Rachel Starr Thomson (230 pages)
  3. Pirates and Faith: Finding Faith, Molly Evangeline (277 pages)
  4. The Blades of Acktar: Defy, Tricia Mingerink (__ pages)
  5. Shane, Jack Schaefer (151 pages)
  6. Ilyon Chronicles: Resistance, Jaye L. Knight (478 pages)
  7. Bonnets and Bugles Series: The Gallant Boys of Gettysburg, Gilbert Morris (168 pages)
  8. Golden Filly: Second Wind, Lauraine Snelling (124 pages)

June (388 pages total)
  1. The Revelation Chronicles: Will's Purpose, Randolph Kay (388 pages)

July (2,314 pages total)
  1. Cedar River Daydreams: Unheard Voices, Judy Baer (140 pages)
  2. Mark of the Lion: A Voice in the Wind, Francine Rivers (507 pages)
  3. Golden Filly: Close Call, Lauraine Snelling (128 pages)
  4. Mark of the Lion: An Echo in the Darkness, Francine Rivers (442 pages)
  5. Golden Filly: The Winner's Circle, Lauraine Snelling (127 pages)
  6. Mark of the Lion: As Sure as the Dawn, Francine Rivers (473 pages)
  7. Adventures of the Northwoods: The Creeping Shadows, Lois Walfrid Johnson (160 pages)
  8. Out from Egypt: Counted With the Stars, Connilyn Cossette (337 pages)

August (1,230 pages total)
  1. A Seven Wonders Novel: City of the Dead, T. L. Higley (380 pages)
  2. Cedar River Daydreams: Trouble with a Capital “T”, Judy Baer (139 pages)
  3. Cedar River Daydreams: Journey to Nowhere, Judy Baer (126 pages)
  4. Cedar River Daydreams: More Than Friends, Judy Baer (122 pages)
  5. A Question of Honor, Jesseca Wheaton (150 pages)
  6. Ilyon Chronicles: Half-Blood, Jaye L. Knight (130 pages)
  7. And the Bride Wore White: Seven Secrets to Sexual Purity, Dannah Gresh (183 pages)

September (1,707 pages total + X)
  1. The Seventh Dimension: The Door, Lorilyn Roberts (231 pages)
  2. The Lost Girl of Astor Street, Stepanie Morrill (345 pages)
  3. Failstate: Failstate, John W. Otte (426 pages)
  4. Dragons in Our Midst: Raising Dragons, Bryan Davis (371 pages)
  5. Dragon Keeper Chronicles: Dragon Spell, Donita K. Paul (334 pages)
  6. X (Courtship book)
October (1,319 pages total)
  1. Follower of the Word: Daughter of Light, Morgan L. Busse (376 pages)
  2. Light of Loian: A Light in the Darkness, Heather Sutherlin (215 pages)
  3. Dragon Keeper Chronicles: Dragon Quest, Donita K. Paul (349 pages)
  4. A Seven Wonders Novel: Guardian of the Flame, T. L. Higley (379 pages)

November (2,271 pages total)
  1. Montana Skies Series: McKenzie, Penny Zeller (314 pages)
  2. Dragons in Our Midst: The Candlestone, Bryan Davis (388 pages)
  3. Dragons in Our Midst: Circles of Seven, Bryan Davis (434 pages)
  4. The Wanderer Series: Seen, Heather Sutherlin (139 pages)
  5. Thrilling Action and Adventure Fiction Book: Seal of the King, Ralph Smith (749 pages)
  6. Cedar River Daydreams: Never Too Late, Judy Baer (121 pages)
  7. Cedar River Daydreams: A Special Kind of Love, Judy Baer (126 pages)

December (1,077 pages total)
  1. Madman, Tracy Groot (316 pages)
  2. Men of the Saddle: The Drifter, Lori Copeland (279 pages)
  3. Beyond the Horizon, Jesseca Wheaton (72 pages)
  4. Chiveis Trilogy: The Sword, Bryan M. Litfin (410 pages)

    Thanks for reading! Have a blessed week!

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Bethany!! I enjoyed reading the tag. :) Wow, that's a lot of pages!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I enjoyed reading your post too. Thanks for starting such a fun tag!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading your answers, Bethany! :D
    Congratulations on all the books you read! I read about that many too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then congratulations right back at you! Thanks for being a faithful reader even through my minimal posting. ;) I'm glad you enjoyed the post!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog! I really appreciate feedback—your thoughts are what keep me blogging! I always reply to comments, so be sure to check back!

Please be considerate of others and please keep all comments God-honoring. Your comment will be visible after I approve it. Thank you!

Blessings,
Bethany R.