Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Tag Time

Recently two bloggers have tagged me for different tags. I hadn't done any tags in awhile and felt like doing a lighter post today, so I decided that I'd combine the two tags and answer the questions so you can learn more about me.


First things first, thank you to Micaiah from Notebooks and Novels, and Kaitlyn K. from Twin Thoughts for tagging me!

Here are my answers to Micaiah's questions:
What is your favorite type of post to write?
I like writing my monthly highlights, because it gives me a chance to review my own month. :) I also love doing posts related to writing or reading. In addition, I find that writing my God-related posts make the topics more real to me.

When did you start writing?
A long time ago! I can remember writing in my early elementary years, but nothing very significant until about two years ago.

What is one piece of advice you'd like to give to new bloggers?
Post about things you enjoy, and don't worry about necessarily pleasing your audience. (I'm talking as much to myself as to new bloggers here.) Also, when it comes to blog design, keep it simple. If it looks too busy, you'll scare people off. The last thing would be to have an easy way for people to subscribe to your blog if you want them to continue reading.

Do you prefer Microsoft Word or Google Docs?
Google Docs, because the set-up is simple and it's easy to correspond with friends. (Plus I haven't really used Word. XD)

What member of the Fellowship of the Ring can you relate to the most?
Good question, but I'd have to say that I don't remember the characters' personalities well enough to say that I necessarily relate to any of them.

How are you pursuing your dreams right now?
I'm living life. I'm writing. I'm growing friendships. I'm following Christ. And right now, that's all a part of my dreams.

What is the hardest part of being a writer?
Writing consistently has always been a struggle. And getting good critique partners. Another difficult aspect is simply keeping on writing and not getting frustrated (too much) with your plot and characters. Now that's hard. 

What is your favorite hot drink?
Coffee! Or mocha? (Yes, I know, my blog title is slightly out-of-date!) 

How do you come up with your story ideas?
Anytime, anywhere! Sometimes through nature, sometimes by reading. Other times I'm inspired by other people's life stories, personalities, and names. I get ideas in the strangest ways . . . .

Which do you prefer, ebooks or paperbacks?
Paperbacks! There's just something about curling up with a good book that you can feel the weight of and turn the pages. It's magical! :)

What is one book that has made you cry?
The Last Ride by Susan K. Marlow. The title says it all. *sobs*

Thanks, Micaiah! Those were fun questions. :) Now, on to Kaitlyn's!

What is your favorite hobby?
Reading and writing, besides just hanging out with my amazing friends. ;)

What does your first name mean?
Bethany in Hebrew literally means "house of song" or "house of poverty/affliction/humility," but I'm named after a special town to Jesus, where Mary, Martha, and Lazarus lived.

What is your favorite family memory?
Now this is extremely difficult. I started a tag back in January 2016 called the "Earliest Memories" tag. One of my favorite memories, however, is camping with my family on our many trips, and the scene that comes to mind at present is standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon with them sipping coffee and hot chocolate.

What's your personality type?
I haven't really taken any of the "personality finder" tests, but I decided with my friends that I'm an ambivert. It's an introvert, until you know someone really well. :) That's me to a "T."

If you had the opportunity to have a 4-course meal, all with foods you choose, what would the meal consist of?
My mouth is now watering. :) I'd choose first and foremost an great German "macaroni and cheese" that my mom and grandma make. Besides that, maybe a good salad, rice pilaf (rice with noodle pieces and yogurt, yum!), and ice cream. Any flavor. ;)

Would you rather have a pet dolphin or a pet bear?
I have always found dolphins fascinating, but I'd choose a bear because it's a bit more practical. Not that either of these are really practical. However, if I could have any animal, I'd pick a dragon—hands down.

What's one random thing about you that few people know?
For a time I've been answering this question with a few of my friends every day, so I'm starting to run out of these facts. I'll say that I've written the backcover copy for two books now. Both are by author Jesseca Wheaton for her books, The Silent Blade and A Question of Honor.

What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas! I love everything about this time of year. (Not to mention that my birthday is around then.)

What quote (from a book, movie, or YouTube video) do you find yourself saying often?
Ask my friends this question. They'd probably say something from The Princess Bride. I actually think I say a lot of quotes, but none come to mind.

If you could live in any other previous time period, which one would you choose?
I think I've answered this one multiple times, and each time there's likely a different answer. I don't think I'd choose to live in another time, but if I had to, I'd love to meet Jesus. Or maybe watch David win battle after battle and drop Goliath to the ground. I suppose I'd actually love to live in the Garden of Eden and watch everything on the earth live in peace, if that counts. :)

If you could see yourself from someone else's perspective, whose perspective would you choose and why? (It could be a family member's, a friend's, your local librarian's, etc.)
Probably my friends. I'm very curious to see why they decided to have such a peculiar person as myself as their friend. ;)

Thank you, ladies, for your questions! I enjoyed answering them. Now, my readers, it's your turn. Since I'm not tagging anyone, I'd love it if you picked a few of these questions and answered them in a comment. Hope you enjoyed my answers!

NOTE: My blog's fourth birthday is approaching, and I was wondering if you had any thoughts for how to celebrate? Anything you've seen other blogs do that you'd like to see me do too? I'm open for suggestions and I'll compile my favorites into a blog birthday party. :) Thanks!

35 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on your favorite drinks coffee is sooo good, especially if you have a donut with it!! A fact most people don't know about me is that I have 2 adopted siblings:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's fun! Are they younger or older than you?

      Delete
    2. They are both younger my sister is 14 and my brother is 13. Do you have siblings?

      Delete
    3. One younger sister. :) Where are your brother and sister from?

      Delete
    4. That's cool. They are from the United States my parents adopted them out of foster care. How old is your sister?

      Delete
    5. Older than 10, younger than 15. ;) (Sorry, I can't do specifics.) How old were your brother and sister when you adopted them?

      Delete
    6. That's fine I completely understand!! My brother was 11 and my sister was 12 they were older when we adopted them so I was an only child for a long time haha.

      Delete
    7. Wow, that is a long time to be an only child! How do you compare being a big sis to an only child?

      Delete
    8. Yeah it is!! Being an only child can be really cool I mean you get all your parents attention and you get a lot of free time to yourself that's fun but, having siblings is awesome I mean yes, we do get into arguments but I cant imagine not having them with me!! Especially through adoption my parents have wanted to do it for many years and I can see why because my siblings where not Christians when they first came to our house and just being able to see the transformation that they have had yes, they still have there quirks but its amazing!! It was very hard to want to have siblings after 14 years of being an only child but then God humbled me to see the things I could help them with.

      Delete
    9. I can certainly understand that! There's quite a few issues, but all the goodness of having a sibling totally outweighs it. Being an older sis is a real learning experience! And yes, humbling too. (Especially as they start beating you at games and such, hehe) That's awesome that you are able to be an influence on them and watch them grow in Christ. That has to be amazing to watch and be a part of. :) Send me an email sometime, Kelsea, and we can get to know each other a little better. :)

      Delete
    10. That would be fun to email. I sent you an email I'm not sure I did it right so hopefully it gets to you:)

      Delete
    11. *gasps* Oh my goodness that's right I did get your email! I'm so sorry I haven't replied yet. *face palm* I'll try to do that today! Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
    12. That's ok I just wanted to make sure I did it right! Summer is a busy time:)

      Delete
  2. I had fun reading all of your answers to the tag questions, Bethany! :)
    That's so fun that your blog is almost 4 years old! Well, a couple things that might be fun is a Q&A thing or maybe a vlog? I don't know, those are just some things that I've seen other bloggers do and it's always fun. ;) I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be super fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed them! I was thinking about doing a Q&A session. Thanks for the suggestions! :)

      Delete
  3. Ohhh, this was so fun to read! And YES writing consistently is SO hard! Like, one day I'll be writing 20k a day, and the next it's zero. Oh, to celebrate, do a vlog! Or a giveaway. Or start your own tag! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are all great ideas! Thanks!

      And did you just say 20K!!! That's insane!

      Delete
  4. Hi Bethany! I love this post! So much fun to read. How do you make a "tag"?

    I am curious why writing consistently is important? One of the things that keeps me writing is that I don't have to!

    For a birthday party idea, maybe a contest or giveaway. Make it a live deal, where you set up a date and a time, and then have a "party" online. Not sure it that's what you were going to do. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Libby! A "tag" is basically when someone answers a bunch of questions, then "tags" other bloggers to either answer the same questions or a set that the blogger comes up with. Does that make sense? If you want to do one on your blog, you can take the questions I answered and do them on your blog. Technically you are supposed to link back to the blogger that "nominated" you also.

      I have a bad habit that when I don't write for a few days, it takes me a LONG time to start writing again, and I end up losing some of my thoughts and my flow.

      I like those ideas a lot, thanks! I'll have to look into them more. I'm just not sure how many people would actually show up at a live party, hehe. XD Thank you for your suggestions and your comment!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Google docs, paperbacks all the way!, pet bear and I am most definitely an extrovert xD
    DO A VLOG FOR YOUR BLOG BIRTHDAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good to know we have all that in common! :) Thanks for the suggestion!

      Delete
  7. This post was very timely for me as it has been a great opportunity to get to know you on your blog a little. :) And four years of blogging here - Congratulations!

    For me, the hardest thing about being a writer is balancing it with my other life responsibilities. I feel like everything else tends to push it to the background and I have to fight to make time for it.

    A random thing about me that few people know: I didn't cry when I was born.

    Well that was fun! Thanks for including me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! I'm glad you wanted to get to know me as well! :) Thank you!

      Oh yes, that goes along with my writing consistently. I find it so hard to juggle all of life's responsibilities. Good to know I'm not alone in this! :)

      Really? Now that's very interesting!

      Thank YOU for reading and commenting! :) I can't wait to read Isolated! ;)

      Delete
    2. Definitely not alone.

      And, I don't remember, really. ;) But my mom tells me so.

      Delete
  8. Some people do vlogs for their blog's birthday; just an idea! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion! It seems to be very popular, I'll have to look into that. :)

      Delete
  9. I love writing monthly wrap-ups too! Sometimes I forget what happened in the past month (oops xD), and wrap-ups give me an opportunity to remember what I did. They're also cool because I talk about things other than writing.

    Great tag! I enjoyed reading your answers!

    audrey caylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do the same for me. :) They allow me to go back through my pictures and the calendar and remember everything. It's a great way for me to cap off my month. :D

      I'm so glad you enjoyed it, Audrey! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. Paperbacks for the win, for sure! I loved reading your answers :)

    -T
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, a pet bear would be more practical, especially because I live in the Appalachians. I get bears in my front yard from time to time, in fact. How are you liking The Siege of Macindaw (if your "Currently Reading" is up-to-date)? I've read up through the next one, Erak's Ransom, but it's been a few years since I read them. I have books 8 and 9 on my shelf ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Patrick! I've seen a few bears, but only on trips as there aren't that many near my home in Central California.

      Yes, my "Currently Reading" is mostly up-to-date. I finished Seige of Macindaw a little bit ago and really enjoyed it. I'm trying to find a friend who owns Erak's Ransom so that I can borrow it. :) So far, The Ruins of Gorlan is my favorite book. Do you have a favorite so far? Again, thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
    2. It's been a bit too long since I read them to remember favorites, unfortunately. I think there were scenes from The Ruins of Gorlan, The Burning Bridge, and The Battle of Skandia that I really liked.

      Delete
    3. They all had some really fun scenes! :) My friends have been reading the series and they are the ones who convinced me to read them, I'm glad they did!

      Delete

Thanks for reading and commenting on my blog! I really appreciate feedback—your thoughts are what keep me blogging! I always reply to comments, so be sure to check back!

Please be considerate of others and please keep all comments God-honoring. Your comment will be visible after I approve it. Thank you!

Blessings,
Bethany R.